- Who can take UMass Amherst CPE classes?
- Do I have to pay for my class when I register?
- Can I use my tuition waiver for CPE classes?
- What student services are available?
- Can I qualify for some kind of financial aid?
- Will the UMass Amherst credit I earn transfer to other schools?
- How do I register for a class?
- How much does it cost?
- Is UMass Amherst fully accredited?
- When do classes usually meet?
- How do I know if my class is cancelled due to bad weather?
- How do I get a copy of my transcript or check my grade?
- How do I get a copy of my bill?
- Can I register for the university day classes through CPE?
- Who do I contact for more information?
1. Who can take UMass Amherst CPE classes?
CPE classes are ideal for working professionals, stay-at-home parents, human resources managers looking for new opportunities for employees and, of course, UMass Amherst alumni.
- Non-credit classes are open to anyone, with no requirements.
- Undergraduate classes require a minimum of a high school diploma or its equivalent (GED). Exceptions for undergraduate classes may be granted to high school students with written permission of their guidance counselor and parent or guardian.
- Graduate degree programs and classes require at least a bachelor's degree.
Some classes may require prerequisite college-level work. You may enroll in classes before being formally admitted to a degree program; however, enrollment does not imply acceptance into a degree program. Massachusetts residency is not a requirement.
2. Do I have to pay for my class when I register?
No, we no longer require payment at time of registration for classes. For more information, click here.
3. Can I use a tuition waiver for CPE classes?
Eligible state employees may receive up to a 50% remission of class fees. Obtain a waiver from your Human Resources Office, and submit to the Bursar's Office. Click here for more information on waivers.
4. What student services are available?
Academic advising, library facilities and textbooks are available whether you’re taking classes in person or online. Click here to find out more.
5. Can I qualify for some kind of financial aid?
Financial aid availability varies depending on your class status and matriculation. Click here for information about financial assistance.
6. Will the UMass Amherst credit I earn transfer to other schools?
Credit earned by successfully completing UMass Amherst classes can in most cases be transferred to other colleges and universities, at the discretion of the accepting campus or school. It is your responsibility to confirm whether your campus or school will accept the transferred credits.
7. How do I register for a class?
You can register online, by mail, by fax or in person. You may also be eligible to register through our student information system SPIRE. Choose the method that's most convenient for you. Click here for details.
8. How much does it cost?
Fees for each class are listed with the class description. For additional fee information, click here.
9. Is UMass Amherst fully accredited?
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, which accredits schools in the six New England states. Membership in the Association indicates that the institution has been carefully evaluated and found to meet standards agreed upon by qualified educators. Many of the campus's schools and colleges are also accredited by discipline-specific agencies.
10. When do classes usually meet?
CPE classes in the fall and spring semesters generally meet once a week in the evening. In the winter and summer sessions, classes meet one to five times a week during the day, evening, or weekends. Online classes usually meet within a semester's start and end dates, but may be accessed anytime, anywhere. Check class descriptions for exact times and dates.
11. How do I know if my class is cancelled due to bad weather?
In the event of severe weather conditions or other emergencies, the University may cancel classes. Announcements are made over local radio stations, or you can call the Emergency Closing Hotline at 413-545-3630 or check for closings at www.umass.edu/closing.
12. How do I get a copy of my transcript or check my grade?
Requests for transcripts of classes taken through CPE must be made in writing. For transcript requests, click here.
You can check your grades through SPIRE, our online student service that gives you 24-hour access to your administrative data and accounts. Click here to find out more about SPIRE.
13. How do I get a copy of my bill?
If you were billed by the Bursar's Office you can get a copy of your bill through SPIRE. Click on View/Pay bill under the Finances section to view your bill through QuickPAY.
If you were not billed by the Bursar's Office please request a receipt using our receipt request form found here.
14. Can I register for the university day classes through CPE?
Yes, with some restrictions. This option is available only in spring and fall semesters. Click here for more information.
15. Who do I contact for more information?
CPE has a wealth of services available to answer your questions and provide support, from academic advising to administrative guidance to technological trouble-shooting. Click here for a list of helpful resources.