Accessing Your Online Class
After you've registered, please allow 2-4 days for Continuing & Professional Education to process your information. Classes will appear at your course portal page 1 week before classes begin.
To access your online class, go to your class schedule on SPIRE; click on computer-screen icon. Log into your class by using your Net ID and Password (same credentials used to log into SPIRE).
2. Prepare your computer for online classes. Before you take an online class, you need to adjust the settings on your computer. Please follow the directions below to avoid technical difficulties.
- New students: Once you’ve registered, you are provided a UMass e-mail (UMail) account through the Office of Information Technologies (OIT) and access to SPIRE, the student information system. Directions explaining how to activate your UMail account will be sent to your non-university e-mail address.
- Disable pop-up blockers: WebCT Vista uses pop-up windows. If you have pop-up blockers installed, please disable them for www.umassonline.net.
- Allow Java Certificates: The first time you log into WebCT Vista, you'll be prompted to accept a Java Security Certificate. Click "Yes" or "Always" to ensure that Java will work properly in your browser.
- Run the browser checker: The "Check Browser" feature assesses the settings on your computer. Click the "Check Browser" link that appears in the upper-right hand corner of the class portal page. A checklist will appear within a pop-up window, notifying you of any settings that need to be changed on your computer. If you see a red "x" next to any of the items on the list, follow the directions to resolve the issue, or contact amherstsupport for assistance (see below).
3. For more information and technical assistance:
If you need help with technical issues, please e-mail:
or call 1-888-300-6407 (24-hours a day, 7 days a week). You may also want to take advantage of the Live Text Chat available on the course login page.