Advantages of UMass Amherst Online Courses
You know that online learning gives you the flexibility you need to prepare for emerging opportunities while you stay on the job, anywhere in the world.
What you may not know is that our online classes, degrees and certificate programs offer the same rigorous academic standards and outstanding university faculty as our regular on-campus programs.
Online learning at UMass Amherst offers you all the resources of a leading, accredited university with the benefit of:
- 24-hour access to your classroom.
- The opportunity to participate in your course according to your own schedule.
- A lively, interactive environment that fosters networking and idea-sharing with professional colleagues.
- Outstanding UMass Amherst instructors skilled at accommodating the diverse learning styles and needs of distance learners.
- Access to the university’s vast electronic research holdings.
Discover why today’s discerning students are choosing distance learning at an unprecedented rate — and why UMass Amherst has gained a global reputation as a leader in the field of online education for advancing professionals.
Student Validity Process
To assure that the student who registers in an online course/program is the same student who participates in and completes the program and receives the academic credits:
- The student who registers for the online course is ‘batched’ into the course through SPIRE and Blackboard Learn using only the information from their registration.
- The student uses their assigned login credential to actually log into the course each time they want access to the course. (Now the same for SPIRE and Bb Learn)
- OIT’s acceptable use policy further addresses this topic.
- Therefore, the person who has those credentials is the same person doing the work.
- Online faculty state in their syllabus information about the University’s academic honesty rules and the potential results for any violations.
- Online faculty input grades via SPIRE for each student based upon the same registration information.