ISENBERG SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
Online Certificate in Meeting and Event Management
Our Hospitality and Tourism Management program is ranked one of the top 10 internationally and enjoys longstanding industry ties that are critical for student placement, support and reputation. Whether you’re new in the industry or trying to upgrade your skills to advance into supervisory and managerial positions, this six-month online program equips you with the essential understanding you need to succeed in the field of meeting and event management, including training in the selection of appropriate meeting sites, pre-event publicity and marketing, audio-visual aids, budgeting, negotiation and contracts.
Admission: Students should have a high school degree or General Equivalency Diploma. Our online certificate programs are not designed for students who are currently enrolled in or have graduated from our bachelor degree program.
Application: Those who wish to enroll in the Meeting and Event Management certificate program should submit a completed application form found at http://www.isenberg.umass.edu/apps/u/HTM_Certificate_application.php. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis and there is no fee to apply. Upon acceptance, notification will be emailed to student.
Format: All courses are offered online through Continuing & Professional Education at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Required Curriculum: (subject to change): Students must take the five courses listed below. This certificate requires students to take a total of 15 credits in five courses (3 credits per course). Students may also take courses without pursuing the certificate.
- HT-MGT 332 Convention Sales
- Uses personal selling in the hospitality and tourism context specifically targeted to meetings and convention markets for hotels and other lodging facilities.
- Emphasizes improving interpersonal communication skills and use of industry software.
- HT-MGT 334 Event Management
- Introduction to functions of planning meetings and events.
- Emphasizes project scheduling and planning of actual events and includes site selection, contract negotiations, selection of suppliers, obtaining sponsorships, and budgeting.
- HT-MGT 382 Hospitality Marketing Management
- Uses marketing fundamentals and techniques relative to the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Specific emphasis on using the marketing mix to develop effective marketing programs within the constraints of the external environment.
- HT-MGT 397G Meetings, Convention and Event Management
- Planning and programming large-scale special events and conferences.
- Developing goals and objectives, and evaluating techniques related to these events.
- HT-MGT 457 Catering and Banquet Management
- Analysis and evaluation of food and beverage systems in catering operations.
- Emphasis on planning, coordinating, and improving operations.
Faculty: For information on our world-class faculty, visit: http://www.isenberg.umass.edu/htm/Faculty/
Certificate Requirements: The certificate is awarded to students completing the required five courses with a passing grade in each course of a "C". All courses must be taken through UMass Amherst, Continuing & Professional Education. The student must complete all required certificate courses within two calendar years from the date of admission.
Certification process: Upon meeting the requirements, the student must submit a certificate completion form to have their transcript audited by the program director.
Summer 2013 Classes By Program
Fall 2013 Classes By Program
For more information: